19 Ways to Ease the Pain
By: Victor Parachin
- Have a family discussion about holidays.
- Lower expectations.
- Shop smart.
- Express and explore your faith.
- Don’t buy into holiday myths.
- Do something symbolic.
- Don’t try to do everything yourself.
- Concentrate on the meaning of the holiday.
- Find a unique way to remember your loved one.
- Ask for what you need from others.
- Reach out to help others.
- Read for encouragement.
- Be patient with yourself.
- Cry but then stop.
- Let your limits be known.
- Stay connected.
- Remember, it is ok to feel joy at the holidays.
- Seek and speak with a spiritual leader.
- Finally, keep in mind that most grievers report that their anxious anticipation of the holiday was harder than the actual event.
Victor Parachin is a member of NFDA’s Seminary Resource Program and a grief recovery facilitator in Claremont, CA.